PFLAG Mission Statement
To promote the health and well-being of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people, their families and friends through:
SUPPORT – to cope with an adverse society.
EDUCATION – to enlighten an ill-informed public.
ADVOCACY – to end discrimination and to secure equal civil rights.
PFLAG Values Statements
- Leadership: PFLAG believes in the responsibility of leading by example. As leaders, we commit to listening, supporting and responding to build and grow trusting relationships with all. We work together to fulfill our shared vision of full inclusion and legal equality.
- Diversity & Inclusion: PFLAG believes that diversity can only be gained through mutual respect and trust. We actively work to build inclusive and respectful relationships with all, through a commitment to listening, learning and engaging with diverse communities.
- Community Engagement: PFLAG believes that we are measured by our words and actions. In our communities, we empower ourselves to reach out in coalition and partnership to advocate for change toward full inclusion and legal equality.
- Lifelong Learning: PFLAG believes learning is the key to positive change and inclusion. We engage in continual learning for ourselves and provide ongoing learning opportunities to broaden understanding to overcome misinformation and bias.
PFLAG Columbia-Howard County, MD. is an all-volunteer organization.
Jumel Howard, Chapter President
Scott Hefty, Treasurer
Kiana Fok, Secretary
Chris Hefty, Fundraising Coordinator/RYA Facilitator
Renesha Alphonso, Communications Coordinator
Kelly Brooks-Hailey, Diversity and Inclusion Coordinator
Ajamu, Volunteer Coordinator
Suzi Gerb, Trans Adult Support Group Facilitator
Judy Gaver, Parent Forum Facilitator
Sarah Cuneo, Trans Parents Support Facilitator
Annual Reports and Financials
Take a look at the first official Annual Report our chapter has released!
We’re hiring a Communications Coordinator! Click to download a PDF for more information.
PFLAG’s Mission is to build on a foundation of loving families united with LGBTQ+ people and allies who support one another, and to educate ourselves and our communities to speak up as advocates until all hearts and minds respect, value and affirm LGBTQ people.
PFLAG HoCo’s Mission Coordinators work with other members of PFLAG HoCo to develop and carry out strategies for achieving the three mission areas of Support, Education, and Advocacy for all members of the LGBTQ+ community. These positions are all new, so the individuals who fill these roles will work with the chapter leadership to further define the scope of their role.
- Develop and carry out a PFLAG HoCo Support Mission Strategy.
- Coordinate efforts of various support groups sponsored by PFLAG HoCo.
- Work with support group facilitators to address requirements (resources, logistics, etc.) to allow facilitators to focus on their members.
- Work with chapter leadership to identify and allocate resources to meet the Support mission area.
- Develop and carry out a PFLAG HoCo Advocacy Mission Strategy.
- Identify issues of concern for the LGBTQ+ community that can be addressed through social action at the local, state, and national level.
- Establish a network of connection with key points of contact in the area of advocacy and policy (PFLAG National, FreeState Justice, etc.).
- Keep the Steering Committee informed of the status of advocacy efforts.
- Develop and carry out a PFLAG HoCo Education Mission Strategy.
- Coordinate chapter efforts in educating the community on LGBTQ+ matters by engaging with organizations and individuals.
- Organize and coordinate a ‘Speakers Bureau” of PFLAG HoCo volunteers who can provide educational presentations and testimonials.
- Develop and implement an annual plan of presentation/discussion topics for chapter monthly meetings.