Black/African American Resources
- Christ United Methodist Church, Owen Brown Interfaith Center, 7246 Cradlerock Way, Columbia, MD 21045
- Channing Memorial Church (Unitarian Universalist), 3220 Corporate Ct., Suite C., Ellicott City, MD 21042 Welcoming all races, genders, & sexual orientations. Contact: Rev. Susan LaMar, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Columbia Jewish Congregation, 5885 Robert Oliver Place,Columbia, MD 21045
- Columbia United Christian Church, 5885 Robert Oliver Place, Columbia, MD 21045
- Kittamaqundi Community Church, 5410 Leaf Treader Way, Columbia, MD 21045
- Laurel Presbyterian Church, 7610 Sandy Spring Rd., Laurel, MD 20707
- St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church, 5885 Robert Oliver Place, Columbia 21045
- Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Columbia, 7246 Cradlerock Way, Columbia,MD 21045
- List of LGBTQ Friendly Churches in Maryland (GayChurch.org)
Intimate Partner Abuse Support Resources
- Maryland Legal Aid provides free legal services to low-income individuals and families across the State of Maryland.
- FreeState Justice offers pro-bono and reduced-fee legal service for low-income lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Marylanders: 410-625-LGBT; intake call-in hours: Monday (9-1); Wednesday (5-7); Thursday (9-1)
- Maryland Attorney General’s Office – Advance Directives
- Transgender Law Center: Find law 101 in various concentrations as well as caselaw and policy
LGBTQ Health Resources for Us and Our Providers
- See a list of our local, Affirmative Health Care Providers. Download the list in PDF here.
- Welcoming Parents of Trans and Gender Nonconforming Children to PFLAG includes some providers who have treated our trans children and the families have been pleased with the services provided
- Chase-Brexton Health Services, Inc., serving the LGBT community in Maryland with offices in Baltimore City, Randallstown, Columbia and Easton
- Whitman Walker Health, serving the LGBT community in the District of Columbia with offices in Northwest and Southeast
- The Trevor Project, preventing suicide among LGBTQ youth
- LGBT Addiction Guide, useful information and support systems for our community
- LGBTQIA Safe Sex Guide
- imi Identity and Mental Health Resources Guide
Parent/Caregiver/Family/Chosen Family Resources
- Browse our library for fiction and non-fiction books, documentaries and movies or contact our librarian, June Horner.
- Rainbow Families D.C.
- COLAGE – Families of GLBT Parents
- Gay & Lesbian National Hotline
- The LGBT Resource Center at Chase Brexton
School Support and GSAs
- Community Allies of Rainbow Youth (CARY) advocacy organization for LGBTQ+ young people.
- Gay-Straight Alliance Network
- GLSEN – Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network
- Howard County Public Schools Bullying Reporting Form (available in Spanish)
- Lambda Legal’s Transgender Advocate’s Guide to Updating and Amending School Records
- LGBTQ+ Student College Guide
- Listserve for LGBT Homeschoolers
- Maryland State Department: Providing Safe Spaces for Transgender and gender Non-Conforming Youth (Oct 2015)
- Schools in Transition, by Gender Spectrum, offers a step by step guide for schools to support trans and gender expansive children (Jul 2015)
- Teaching Tolerance: free resources to educators—teachers, administrators, counselors and other practitioners
- The Safe Schools Coalition, a public-private partnership in support of LGBTQ youth
South Asian Community Resources
- Trikone is a registered 501(c)3 nonprofit organization for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer people of South Asian descent, who trace their ethnicity to one of the following places: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Myanmar (Burma), Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Tibet.
- National Queer Asian Pacific Islander Alliance offers supportive documents and videos in many Asian and Pacific Island languages.
- Maryland Crisis Hotline: 1-800-422-0009 – Available 24 / 7 / 365
- Suicide Prevention Resource Center
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- Grassroots Crisis Intervention: 24-Hour Crisis Hotline: 410-531-6677
- The Trevor Project 24/7 Hotline: 1-866-488-7386
- National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255
- New to this journey? See Welcoming Parents of Trans and Gender Nonconforming Children to PFLAG
- Trans Lifeline, (877) 565-8860: Reach out to the hotline staffed by transgender people for transgender people for any support needs.
- See NCTE’s Identity Document Center for information on updating identity documents in every state
- See our blog post of additional resources for Families with Trans and Gender Creative Children
- Reading and Documentary List for children and youth about gender, gender fluidity, transgender and gender creativity
- National Center for Transgender Equality’s Fair Housing and Transgender People helps shelters understand how to become trans competent.
- National Center for Transgender Equality has general information and many resources for knowing your rights and self-help, including legal
- Supporting and Caring for Trans Children, Human Rights Campaign, American College of Osteopathic Pediatricians and the American Academy of Pediatricians
- Gender Expansive Youth Report – Survey results from the Human Rights Campaign & Gender Spectrum
- Dr. Johanna Olson, of Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, did 24 wonderful videos about trans and gender non-conforming children. Great introduction and tips for a multitude of aspects of raising our magical kids. You have to sign in to watch, but so very worth it!
- View a documentary, Becoming Me, that showcases eight transgender and gender nonconforming children
- Gender Conference East is a regional conferernce for trans youth, their families and the providers who support them.
- Gender Odyssey annual national conference, based in Seattle, for trans adults and trans youth and their families
- Gender Spectrum resources and education for families and schools, including a national conference
- Trans Youth Family Allies (TYFA) resources for kids, families and schools
- Learn how one Maryland family changed their child’s gender marker
- TED Talk: Ash Beckham talks about Coming Out of the Closet, for everyone, because “we all have closets.”
- TED Talk: Norman Spack: How I help transgender teens become who they are.
- TED Talk: Geena Rocero: Phillapina trans fashion model comes out.
- Anderson Cooper, AC360: The Sissy Boy Experiment Part 1, June 8; Part 2, June 9; Part 3, June 10, 2011
- Trans People Speak: Videos of trans people sharing their stories
- GLAAD Transgender Media Program for creating authentic trans characters
Supporting Siblings of Transgender Children
- This video helps parents understand how to support the siblings of their trans child
- Transgender Allies blog post Why is My Sister a Boy Now?
- The Experience Project allows you to search for others who have a trans sibling who would be open to connect.
Rev. Angela Wells
Rev. Angela Wells (she/her)
PFLAG National Publications
|Justice in Aging has published two fact sheets that provide basic information and tips for LGBTQ+ individuals with Medicare and their advocates:
· Marriage, Medicare, and Medicaid: What Same Sex Couples Need to Know, available in English and Spanish, discusses rules about Medicare coverage for spouses and treatment of spousal income for programs that affect Medicare costs such as the Part D Low Income Subsidy, Medicare Savings Programs, and surcharges for high income filers.
· Medicare & Transgender Older Adults: What Transgender People Need to Know, also available in English and Spanish, discusses issues including gender identification, surgeries, transition related drugs, and sex-specific procedures.
The fact sheets were produced in collaboration with SAGE, the State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) and the Senior Medicare Patrol (SMP).
Loyola Clinical Centers
Loyola University Maryland
Conveniently located at Belvedere Square.
Scan our QR code to reach our website or call 410-617-1200
to schedule an appointment